About Save Harlem Now!
Save Harlem Now! (SHN!), founded in 2015, is an independent nonprofit advocacy organization
dedicated to protecting, preserving, and celebrating Harlem’s irreplaceable built heritage, livability, and
sense of place.
Position Summary: The Executive Director will be responsible for creating and implementing strategy
that will safeguard Harlem’s existing historic districts and individual landmarks; be an advocate for
greatly expanded landmarks protection through additional designations and contextual zoning; and be
an educated voice for sound preservation policies in Harlem and New York City.
Reports to: President of Save Harlem Now!
Duties and Tasks
A. Preservation Activities
a. Review all publicly proposed applications affecting historic properties in Harlem,
including both individual projects and proposed land-use plans and polices
b. Write testimony based on Board review of proposals
c. Communicate and consult with constituent groups and stakeholders about projects in
Harlem or areas of interest and concern
d. Regularly attend and speak before the Community Boards 9, 10, and 11
e. Attend public hearings of city agencies and deliver testimony on behalf of SHN!
f. Monitor and report on public meetings and hearings of the New York City Landmarks
a. Provide strategic support for Harlem preservation campaigns such as landmark
designations, historic resource surveys, re-zonings, and legislation
b. Educate the community about the importance of historic preservation and the
neighborhood’s built environment
c. Work with Harlem community to connect with decision-makers to achieve SHN!’s goals
d. Organize within the Harlem community and with other New York City preservation
community groups to achieve widespread support for common goals
C. Fundraising, Events and Outreach
a. Develop, implement, and coordinate regular fundraising appeals and advance individual
b. Support all aspects of planning, outreach, and execution of SHN!’s public programs such
as walking tours, written materials, candidate forums, and special events
c. Devise communications strategy for outreach and create appealing content
d. Collaborate with Board of Directors to craft appropriate messaging and social media
• One to three years of experience working for a nonprofit preservation organization, or in a
• Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
• Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
• Experience with advocacy groups and an understanding and appreciation of the public policy,
city building, architecture, design, and preservation that drives the work of SHN!
• An entrepreneurial spirit
• Knowledge of New York City architecture and history; familiarity with historic preservation
policies, best practices, emerging tools, and trends strongly recommended
• Experience with New York City government agencies such as City Council, City Planning and
Landmarks Preservation Commission is beneficial
• Ability to work both independently and with SHN!’s President and Board
• Experience in fundraising and knowledge of the administrative aspects of running a nonprofit is
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Historic Preservation, Architecture, Public Policy or related field is
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Web, graphic design, and social media skills are a plus
• Proof of COVID vaccination required
This is a paid full-time position with regular business hours. This position will be operating initially in
a remote work environment however in-office work may be required in the future. The position
will include some evening and weekend hours. Applicant must be a resident of New York City.
Starting salary: $62,500
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to info(at)saveharlemnow.org with the subject line
“Executive Director.” No phone calls please. Save Harlem Now! Is an equal opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of
race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or sexual orientation.